 Robotics / 23927
Re: Robotic simulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:16:05 GMT

Connected blocks would be treated as rigid bodies.  Almost all linkages are
what are called 'hinges' in ODE -- one degree of freedom around an axis.
Gears could be dealt with explicitly, or as wheels in contact with infinite
friction.  Once the motor kicks in, the operation of the machine should
progress pretty much deterministically.

Dear Dan,

I'm an Applied Mathematician/Physicist and have been to a couple of meetings
where we take problems pozed by companies that can't solve them in-house. One
set of these meeting is in Denmark and I was speaking to some people who were
there and dealing with this sort of problem for the LDD software Lego released
last year.

Essentially, they were trying to deal with the way the hinges could be rotated
so that everything connected would move appropriately. They found this very hard
and, although Lego have presumably solved the problem now, couldn't come up with
a solution in the week of the meeting. This was a bunch of professional Applied
Mathematicians with long experience in similar problems.

What I'm trying to say is that these problems are actually very difficult. From
my own experience, trying to model accurate (numerical rather than visual which
is a little harder) collisions is very hard too. This is basically because you
are trying to model an impulse with very quick behaviour in time for something
that otherwise would skip such small timesteps.

Unfortunately, many problems which can be put so succinctly on paper, become
horrible to work with numerically, but cannot be solved without numerics. This
is the bane of Applied Mathematics in general.

Hope this helps,

Tim