 Robotics / 23926
Re: Robotic simulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:23:52 GMT

Dan

This actually answers a question I've had for years.  Whenever I've been
caught up in a good 3D videogame, I've always wanted a more open-ended
system -- where I could totally customize my characters & vehicles, add • new
terrain models and so on.  Now I get the sense that with present-day • tech,
that just wouldn't be possible.  The system has to be tuned, and letting • the
user change too many things is intrinsically dangerous.

I don't think it's a technical problem, I think it's down to budgets. It
_can_ be done well (or at least faked well) on a PC but it costs too much.

90% of users don't care and the accountants who run games companies can't
understand the difference. If a game costs $2,000,000 and a proper
simulation costs $200,000 then let's save $200,000.

Am I disappointed I didn't get to write a proper robot-fighting simulation?
Who me?

Peter