 Robotics / 23919
Re: Robotic simulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:06:05 GMT

dan miller wrote:

Whilst I'm sure you could build some sort of simulator - I'd be pretty
sceptical about it's ability to predict the performance of a real Lego
robot with any kind of fidelity.

I'm surprised to hear that.  While obviously it wouldn't be perfect, it
seems to me that the granular, quantized nature of Lego parts would make
calculating the behavior of various linkages, gearing, etc. pretty
straightforward.

Sure. But that does not automatically lead to good results. I think you
can be able to mimic the internals of a robot with some precision. Ah,
you will limit your robot to some drive-and-seek robot, I think? I mean,
you don't want to simulate a chess playing robot?

Even if you can handle the robot's internals, you will get problems if
you try to get the same results "in real life". Your carpet gives other
friction, your wooden floor has some cracks your robot will follow a bit
and so on. I played with simulators for a while and they can help to
understand how to program the robot. But on the other hand, that is what
I build my Lego robot for...

Anyway, seems like a cool idea.

Right! Any success stories are welcome :)

Regards,

Michael