 Robotics / 23725
Re: Robolab Data Acquisition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:07:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:

Robolab has terrific data acquisition and logging functionalities
that build on top of the RIS datalog.

Some of the amazing things Robolab can do with the Datalog are enabled, in part,
by the not-available-except-to-Robolab-users firmware version they ship with
Robolab.  I readily admit that a tool (like Robolab) built around a data
acquisition engine (i.e., LabVIEW) totally eclipses anything you could even
dream about doing (data acquisition-wise) with just NQC or with a combination of
NQC and a really good IDE (presuming you could find one).

With a really good IDE, however, you might be able to not just use the datalog
but perhaps directly poll via the RF tower the tachometer values from a
cybermaster-based robot running down a ramp several feet away and graph the
continuous flow of data using a powerful built-in data analysis feature (if it
had one).  I don't know, can Robolab do that? :-)

Or you could use the datalog on an RCX brick to gather the time and distance
data and upload it after the robot has finished its run down the ramp, upload it
into a really good IDE and use that same powerful built-in data analysis feature
to plot the information, print it, copy it to the clipboard, etc...  Nothing
fancy, yeah, I know. :-)

   Perhaps I'll actually get an updated copy of Robolab (I gave it up due to no
OSX version, now rectified, and a steep learning curve (for someone raised on
FORTRAN and BASIC). I *love* the datalog (with one exception, see below), but
the fact that NQC generally just imports the numbers "raw" without the labels
makes analysis later more difficult. Not impossible (I use Excel work with it),
just another step or two.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you talking about NQC's -datalog vs its
-datalog_full action?  Are you talking about uploading the datalog via BricxCC?
You definitely get labels if you use -datalog_full or if you upload the datalog
using BricxCC.

John Hansen