 Robotics / 23720
Re: Robolab Data Acquisition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:

Robolab has terrific data acquisition and logging functionalities
that build on top of the RIS datalog.

   Perhaps I'll actually get an updated copy of Robolab (I gave it up due to no
OSX version, now rectified, and a steep learning curve (for someone raised on
FORTRAN and BASIC). I *love* the datalog (with one exception, see below), but
the fact that NQC generally just imports the numbers "raw" without the labels
makes analysis later more difficult. Not impossible (I use Excel work with it),
just another step or two.

Robolab + Mindstorms, at a combined price of about $250, has to
be an incredible value for data acquisition/analysis for student
analysis. I suspect if it had more memory (flash memory
expansion) it would find much utility and deployment as a
professional (vs. student) product in this market.

   With two other additions (on the RCX side), I'd agree. "Professional"
dataloggers generally can support much much higher aquisition rates, which would
be helpful in many situations (like college-level physics labs - and the H8 can
support it, I think). One of the applications I have for the RCX is long-term
datalogging in a cave, but for that I really need it to be able to enter a
low-power sleep mode (can the H8 do this while monitoring for trigger
conditions? Or would this require a different base processor?). Even increased
memory doesn't solve the problem when you want 1 second resolution at certain
times, but want to log any interesting events that occur during a 6 month
deployment (searching through 15 million data points isn't much fun, or needed,
even if you have the memory for it).

--
Brian Davis