 Robotics / 23677
Re: FLL not allowing NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:
Mindstorms for the AFOL and consumer market appears
totally stagnant.

I am curious. I don't know about other AFOLs on this
list, but I have not found anything on the LEGO sites
that I want to buy? I already have 4 RIS 2.0 systems
and some other parts I bought off of eBay/Bricklink. I
bought the additional pieces from eBay/Bricklink
because there were no otherwise suitable parts for my
needs being sold by LEGO.

It may just be that I have not found the right way to
order them from LEGO, but my lack of patronage for
LEGO to get the parts I want is mostly because LEGO
doesn't sell the parts I want in ways that make sense
to me. For instance: To get 225 chain links took some
doing, and cost black market prices, and worm gear
boxes are as bad, rotation sensors are worse.

IMHO, if LEGO were to offer piece parts with a minimum
order dollar value, after six months or so, they would
have a good idea of what part 'kits' they could sell
to the AFOL market.

To me, although some of the kits LEGO sells are
interesting, I don't want to buy an $80 kit to get a
couple pneumatic parts. I'd gladly pay a fair price
for the parts I want, but I don't need or want the
whole kit?

I've spent a lot of money on LEGO parts, but LEGO
didn't get all that money because the parts I wanted
were not available from LEGO as I needed them.

I believe this is why there is stagnation in the AFOL
market. Does anyone else agree? disagree? Have better
ideas on how to get part? Have the ear of LEGO?

Cheers