 Robotics / 23629
    Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —Mark Tarrabain
   If one allows things that are not produced or distributed by lego, then why can't one use non-official sensors? Why can't one drop the entire default firmware? Heck, why does a person even have to use the RCX in the first place and not a more robust (...) (20 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Highschool FLL competition —Dean Hystad
     A tiny bit off topic, but of interest to people in this thread. I mentioned in a previous post that we've been running a highschool FLL pilot program the last couple of years. Well FIRST and LEGO have decided not to support the highschool program. (...) (20 years ago, 9-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

         RE: Highschool FLL competition —Liz Bilbro
     What happened with this? I find it sad that FIRST and LEGO decided not to support the highschool program... I'm looking at alternatives, hoping for something within the next two years for those of my students who are aging out... Liz -----Original (...) (20 years ago, 15-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Highschool FLL competition —Dean Hystad
     (...) I'm not too suprised that FLL decided not to continue with the highschool pilot program. FIRST has no interest because it competes with their "real" robotics competition, and I don't think LEGO sees highschool age kids as a key demographic. So (...) (20 years ago, 15-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —John Hansen
     (...) I don't follow your logic. Are you saying that any change to the rules to allow non-LEGO programming environments that target the standard LEGO firmware (including ones that they encourage people to use by selling tutorials for them on their (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —Steve Baker
   (...) The difference is a really bright line. All of the examples you quote are to do with non-standard things ending up inside the robot. NQC DOESN'T end up inside the robot. Using NQC instead of RIS is no different from using a pocketknife to (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —Mark Tarrabain
   (...) Yes, no, and no. If Lego themselves also acted as a distributor for NQC (heck, there's nothing saying that LEGO couldn't print CD's and sell them, is there? Sure, the software's freely available, but people buy CD's with free software on them (...) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —Orion Pobursky
     (...) Doesn't Jin Sato's book have NQC on the CD? If it does then LEGO is already distributing NQC: (URL) (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed —Brian Davis
   (...) They already do, via Pitsco here in the US: (URL) Brian Davis (20 years ago, 10-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)