 Robotics / 23586
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:50:52 GMT

In message:  <422BF0BD.8010700@airmail.net>
             Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:

Modern languages (except perhaps those produced specifically for quick-hack
scripting) universally use the 'structured programming' paradigm - which is
what NQC encourages.

Welcome to the religious war of the 1970s.  Honestly, no ALGOL-derived
language (Pascal, C, etc) with or without Smalltalk-inspired OO extensions
(C++, Java, C#) can be called a modern language.  True, some of them
have been built recently, but that doesn't make them modern any more
than a reconstruction of a Model T with new the latest steel alloys is
a modern car.

For a look at something closer to modern languages, take a peek
at Erlang, CAML, or Haskell.  All of these languages center around
declarative clauses and signature pattern-matching.  You'll find that
'structured programming' is just a means for making humans better at
something that the computers should be doing for us anyway (that is,
deriving the optimal control flow for solving a set of constraints).

It's certainly true that the vast majority of professional programming
these days is done using C, C++, Perl, or Java.  That by itself is a
good reason to teach using NQC; it'll give the kids a salable skill.
However, popularity should not be confused with being modern.

- Alex