 Robotics / 23587
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, FMullins@ysi.com wrote:
YES !
Flowcharts !

It's the little routines full of variables passed in and passed out that
need the most careful mapping on a large flat surface.

Once you have it working you throw it away.

Nobody wants to see it.

It tends to be a personal thing.

To appreciate it, you need to start over.

C. Fred Mullins
(937)767-7241 ext 243
FAX (937)-767-2354
fmullins@ysi.com

                      "Brass Tilde"
                      <brasstilde@insig        To:       "Steve Baker" <sjbaker1@airmail.net>, "Thomas
                      htbb.com>                 Johnson" <aklego@mac.com>, <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
                                               cc:
                      03/07/2005 09:08         Subject:  Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
                      AM

Whether you typing
words, writing ones and zeros or "drawing" a program, the concepts are the same.

No.  Structured programs, data structures, all of those things are the
cornerstones of modern programming.  People just don't use flow charts or
machine code anymore - and that's what RIS and Robocode are teaching.

Bunk! Bunk, I say, Bunk!
Even with all of the 'modern datatypes' and Object oriented coding.. it all
still boils down to LOGIC. Of which Flowcharts are the simplest and most
effective building block.
Take any of your modern 'objects' and break them down.. every function on and of
an object can be broken down into simple logical steps and flowcharted! If they
couldn't then they wouldn't work (or should I say don't work). Even the random
function is broken down into the logical application of a seeded mathematical
algortihm. And math is purely logical (although not always necessarily sensical
to many of us). This is why computers cannot make leaps of faith. They rely (at
this point in time) on  pure logic.

If you cannot grasp the base concepts of logic, you will never be a truly
astounding programmer on todays computers. For even in event based, object
oriented programs there is a continuous flow of logic, which if broken will
cause a failure!

Many developers forget this as they only use high level diagrams which do not
have to connect logically to design a program. But the best programmers do
flowcharting automatically, in their minds at least if not on paper. Although
many of the best programmers may not realize they do it as it is simply a
function of automatically thinking in a logical mental stream.

I'm going to disagree with this one statement, and this one statement only.
I've been working in the business world creating software for almost 20
years, and I use flowcharts, and their conceptual children, all the time.
While flowcharting a complete program is rare even for me any more, they
are
still quite useful for understanding the way a process works, and that's
the
key to designing an automated system to accomplish that same process.

Even so-called object oriented languages are procedural based at their
core,
and flowcharting, along with other process mapping techniques, are still
quite helpful.

Not helpful - Necessary for effective software design, development and coding.
If the logic is not there, then bugs are everywhere.

<SNIP some long non disclosure sig that shouldn't have been sent to a public forum>