 Robotics / 2338
Re: expansion ports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:32:46 GMT

Rob Farver wrote:

I thought a patent meant it was illegal to copy the design and manufacture
it for sale.  I don't see why you couldn't resell a genuine LEGO connector.

If they only had a patent on the connector itself that would be true, but I think
they have a patent on the connector in use with a "construction set".  See the
claims of:
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US05848503__
The connector also has the LEGO name on the top of the pins,  incorporating it
with a non-LEGO product is probably a trademark problem as well.  The patents for
the Mindstorms products are not granted yet so it is hard to say what else they
will have.  If anybody thinks they are going to sell something this way I think
they should get permission from LEGO in writting first.