 Robotics / 2333
Re: expansion ports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:32:33 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 03:38:22 GMT, rfarver@rcn.com (Rob Farver) wrote:

I thought a patent meant it was illegal to copy the design and manufacture
it for sale.  I don't see why you couldn't resell a genuine LEGO connector.

I think TLG would take a dim view of people purchasing LEGO parts,
possibly modifying them, using the parts in their own commercial
product, and then selling the product.

And if you simply build your product so that the buyer can connect with
(unmodified) LEGO electric plates, you are violating one or more LEGO
patents.

You could always provide connectors & instructions so the buyer can cut
an end off a LEGO connector, strip the wire-ends, and insert them into
your product.  Just remember: if you want to sell as many as possible,
make it as simple as possible.  Make it kid-proof (more important: make
it dad-proof).  I could be convinced to cut one of my precious LEGO
connectors in half, but I wouldn't touch an add-on which required
soldering.

Steve