 Robotics / 233
Re: Automated brick sorter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 02:15:08 GMT

Huw,
Very nice job.

I saw that you used a clutch gear.  On thing I've been
experimenting with is replacing a clutch gear with a
pair of motors, one working like a generator to drive the
other.  This only works well if the generator-half is
one of the new motors and driven at a slow-to-moderate speed,
but the other motor can be an old 9v one or a micromotor.

Driving the generator at a set speed can control the
torque at the other motor.  I remember my senior year at
Penn State I programmed a robotic arm to draw with
charcoal, which required good control of the pressure
on the stick to get a nice even line, given that the stick
would wear down.

-gyug