 Robotics / 23203
Re: Should the USB Tower have a light?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:20:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jeff Small wrote:
Got a new laptop, no Serial port, called lego...they sent me a USB tower.

For free?  If so you definitely got a great deal.

USB tower needs 2.0 software (which I didn't have and wasn't available on
shop.lego.com), called lego, they sent me RIS 2.0 on CD ($5).

If you don't need to use the RIS 2.0 software it is possible to use the USB
Tower by downloading the free LEGO Mindstorms SDK 2.5 from the LEGO website.

Bricx doesn't see it either. I set it to automatic and it says it can't find
it. I select USB 1,2,3 and 4.

The green light only comes on when software opens the LEGOTOWER1 port and writes
to that port.  That is what BricxCC tries to do.  But if there is a problem with
the tower driver BricxCC may never get to the point where it can write to the
port.

I would use the LEGO USB Tower control panel applet to verify that the tower
drivers are installed correctly.  The diagnostic tab should say whether it is
working right or not.  I can send you a diagnostic executable for checking
whether the USB tower port can be opened or not if you need one.

You may need to uninstall the tower drivers, keep your tower unplugged from your
USB port, re-install the drivers, and then plug in your tower and see if it
correctly finds the right drivers using plug-and-play.

John Hansen