 Robotics / 23129
Re: input used as output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 04:11:09 GMT

well I've decided to go with 2 RCX's anyway.  Later I may switch to a non-lego controller ala
handyboard, brainstem, etc.

Anyway, for the record, the current is also pulsed in order to get the reading from the
photoreceptor.  I still suspect I could get more juice out of the input, but of course it's a bit
dicey.

Again, anyone know of an actual schematic for the RCX?

ps I tried some stuff with differential gears & brakes, and I also have some dacta thingie which
will reverse the polarity of a contact, but it's all too bulky.

best -nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

--- Philippe Hurbain <philohome@free.fr> wrote:

So I'm suspecting that if I get into LegOS internals, I can tweak the low-level code to do
more.

No, that's an internal limitation of RCX inputs: when configured for active
sensors, they provide a 14mA current limited supply. This low current is enough
to light a LED or slowly turn a motor, but don't expect to get any significant
mechanical power from there.

Have you considered mechanical splitters (such as
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/offsite.cfm?linkID=618) to get two
actions from one motor ?

Philo