 Robotics / 22989
    RCX Replacement Firmware —Dick Swan
   I've written replacement firmware for the RCX with the objective that it is compatible with Lego's byte-code opcodes. I'm looking for volunteers willing to give it a test and provide feedback on any problems/bugs. Please send me a private e-mail if (...) (20 years ago, 7-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics) !

        Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) Hello Dick, That sounds great, almost too good to be true (especially for the 100x version!) Would you have also a modified NQC version to enable new features? Philo (20 years ago, 7-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Dick Swan
     "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:I6t5LD.1C8J@lugnet.com... (...) Replacement firmware is up to 100 times faster than the Lego supplied firmware. Lego firmware typically takes 3.2 milliseconds per opcode. In enhanced (...) (20 years ago, 8-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Philippe Hurbain
      (...) I hope you didn't took the "too good to be true" as a criticism - it was only an amazement mark!. BTW, is the 10x version a slow down of 100x one, or is it an older, less optimized version? (once again, I'm not criticizing, I fairly well (...) (20 years ago, 8-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Kevin L. Clague
     Hi Dick, Congratulations on your fabulous effort! I'm always pleased to find out about people who can get down and dirty at the hardware/software interface. Had you thought about the community developing a test plan for verifying LEGO firmware? (...) (20 years ago, 8-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Mark Tarrabain
     Uhmm... I get the impression that you're not intending to open the source code to your replacement firmware, but I'm not sure if that's a particularly good idea for something like this. I suspect that the "hacker" mentality that drove the creation (...) (20 years ago, 7-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —John Barnes
     (...) This sounds fantastic! This may be the answer for people that need the speed but don't have the time, patience and understanding to get BrickOS up and running. Will there be a collaboration between yourself and John H. to sort out NQC support (...) (20 years ago, 8-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Dick Swan
      "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message news:I6uDu9.MqE@lugnet.com... (...) I hope this proves to be the case. (...) There's user configuration control, but not over "concurrent processes". The best way to think of it is that the opcode (...) (20 years ago, 11-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Ed Parrent
      Will there be a collaboration to sort out the mesh with NQC? This is simply great stark news and very exciting stuff, and we do pass along a 'congrats'! Nonetheless, we urge (and will contribute whatever we can) towards the move to use NQC, as or (...) (20 years ago, 11-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —John Hansen
     (...) I hope to get a copy of Dick's replacement firmware and I will do my best to make sure that NQC works with it. The same goes for BricxCC. Whether BricxCC will support the breakpoint/single step features Dick mentioned any time soon is up in (...) (20 years ago, 12-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —John Hansen
     (...) I've uploaded an early test release of BricxCC and NQC which work with the new firmware Dick has made available. It isn't an official release at this point, but it can be used for testing purposes. Everything is subject to change based on (...) (20 years ago, 17-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —John Hansen
     (...) BricxCC and NQC with support for Dick Swan's enhanced firmware. If you know where it is go get it. If you don't, you can email me and I'll send you the link. This version has preliminary support for 256 global variables. BricxCC has some cool (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

        Re: RCX Replacement Firmware —Dean Husby
   (...) Wow, I'm impressed and interested. Unfortunately it's our busy season for work and I won't get a chance to play with my Mindstorms for a couple of months. But I look forward to seeing this progress! Dean (20 years ago, 8-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)