 Robotics / 22968
Re: SPAM and OT messages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:48:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

It seems to me that no matter how hard we try, without
dedicated real time human attention and filtering,
some spam and OT messages will eventually make it to
the list.

It is certainly true that there is a considerable level of effort required to
ensure an open access mailing list is free of spam.

The intelligent thing to do is not overreact, but
simply forward to the list moderator so that it gets
to their attention to censure the user or whatever
methods are employed. Complaining about it never helps
anything.

I didn't see any complaints about the specific messages. I saw a question as to
why there is a linkage between the list and lugnet.robotics.

If you are seriously concerned and can volunteer as
much as several hours of your day to sit and moderate
messages on the list in real time, then you can do
something about it, otherwise, be patient, and calm.

Moderation is certainly effective as a way to reduce spam on open lists. But
that level of effort is not at all required for LUGNET since it is,
fundamentally, not an open mailing list or collection of them.

So, therefore, while your point is completely valid when referring to open
lists, another, much simpler, alternative, is to sever the link between the
mailing list and lugnet.robotics. Most of the spam and OT complaints come from
LUGNET readers who are accustomed to a different sort of environment than an
open mailing list provides.

While there are many academic and scientific teams
working to create the worlds best spam trap, they
haven't done it yet... so demanding better performance
from a free list is just out of order in my view.

This in fact is not what is being suggested by the LUGNET reader that posted the
question about why the link exists.

I saw no demand that list administrators do anything additional beyond what they
have been doing. So therefore I would in turn say that your statement that
anyone is actually "demanding better performance" might possibly be misplaced.

Hope that helps.

++Lar