 Robotics / 22853
Re: Lego Compatible (was Re: JCX and Legos...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- Wayne Gramlich <Wayne@Gramlich.Net> wrote:

The web site is <http://WWW.RoboBRiX.Com/>.  All of
the boards snap right onto standard Lego studs.  The
system already has more and better sensors than
Mindstorms and even more sensors are on the way.
If you want to see what is in the pipeline go visit:

<http://Gramlich.Net/projects/robobricks/modules.html>

All I can say is wow, and thanks. RoboBrix is a very
cool line of products. Have you yet interfaced the
h-bridge modules to an RCX output so that it mimics
the RCX output?

To date, I have done nothing with the RCX.  Why?
Well, it is a very nice microcontroller that has been
unfortunately crippled by Lego by limiting its I/O too
much.  Everytime I try to figure out some way to
use the RCX, I come to the annoying conclusion
that people are better off simply purchasing a less
crippled microcontroller and a separate battery pack.

Also, on the shaft encoder board, do you sell any
detector/encoder wheels with this product? I couldn't
seem to find information regarding this.

The shaft encoder stuff is still work in progress
and the lack of documentation reflects this.
(Actually, the lack of decent documentation
is a continual RoboBRiX problem.)  I have two
shaft encoder modules  based upon the
Hamamatsu P5587.  Here's a few URL's:

  <http://gramlich.net/projects/robobricks/twingearsensorright/index.html>
  <http://gramlich.net/projects/robobricks/twingearsensorleft/index.html>
  <http://gramlich.net/projects/robobricks/shaftsense2/index.html>

The first two are designed to be carefully inserted
into a Tamiya Twin Gear box -- a very inexpensive
platform for building robots on.  Two of the gears
in the gear box (one on each side) are painted
with black and white nail polish to pick off a
quadrature signal.  The third one is designed
to pick off a pattern printed on paper and attached
to a wheel.  The P5578's are inserted into the
appropriate location to pick off the quadrature
pattern transitions on the paper.  This one is
attachable to Lego, but it is problematic since
the hole pitch on technic beams in the vertical
direction is different from standard pitch Lego
studs.  Lastly, some members of our local
robotics club have switched over to using
rotation sensors from US Digital that have
200 lines around the sensor (800 quadrature
transisitions per motor rotation.) I am trying
to upgrade the Rotation2 firmware to handle
up 80,000 transitions pers sensor for two
sensors.  I think I can do it, but time will tell.

Cheers

SZ (not joe, and I can't figure out how that was on my email?)

If you read the message again, I was
replying to a message from Joe S., who
was replying to your message.  Sorry,
for the confusion.