 Robotics / 22841
Re: Lego Compatible (was Re: JCX and Legos...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:28:21 GMT

Joe:

I was hoping more people would chime in.  Alas, I do
not see much interest in this thread right now.

Please accept my apologies in advance, my
comments below are going to sound like an
advertisement ...

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

My question for everyone is this: How much interest is
there in LEGO compatible aftermarket products that are
not plug-n-play compatible with the RCX?

Much interest from me.  Details below...

That is to say, if you build your own controller, how
much interest is there among the LEGO using community
for sensors and motors that will easily attach to LEGO
built robots?

Some, though that's hard to say since I haven't yet built my own controller, and
it's not clear to me how hard it would be to interface those sensors and motors.
But I'm certainly not opposed to the idea.

More attractive would be a set of sensors and motors that work with a controller
that I can also buy and just use.  In other words, make an alternative to the
whole Mindstorms line, but fully compatible with LEGO bricks (including Technic
parts etc.).  Make it cheaper to get started with than Mindstorms, and it would
be very appealing to me.

Such a system already exists and it is called RoboBRiX.
The web site is <http://WWW.RoboBRiX.Com/>.  All of
the boards snap right onto standard Lego studs.  The
system already has more and better sensors than
Mindstorms and even more sensors are on the way.
If you want to see what is in the pipeline go visit:
<http://Gramlich.Net/projects/robobricks/modules.html>

Would you be interested in a LEGO structure designed
to house a basic stamp or PIC module?

Yes, especially if I can program it from my Mac using only a serial cable and a
terminal app.

Already been done.  The MicroBrain8 RoboBRiX can
take any module that is pin compatible with the
Parallax Basic Stamp II.  This includes BS2 (basic),
Javelin (Java), OOPIC-C (basic and a couple of others),
the StAVeR (AVR microprocessor that can be programmed
using the Gnu C compiler), etc.  The PICBrain11, is a
PIC16F876A that has a boot loader that allows it to be
programmed from any terminal emulator.

Would you be
interested in LEGO compatible sensor blocks that could
be plugged into controllers that are not an RCX?

Yes, if they can be plugged into whatever controller I happen to have -- you see
the issue here.

RoboBRiX sensor/actuator modules are use standard
asynchronous serial communication protocol.  If you have
a controller that can bit-bang serial bits in and out on a
couple of pins, it can talk to a RoboBRiX module.

This is something that
I'm doing for my own robot, but I find it intriguing
that I might be able to continue this hobby in some
respect by selling, at moderate prices, the things
that I develop.

I encourage you to do so.  I've looked for such products for sale, and while
there are some who have sold such things in the past, and others who claim to be
planning to sell such things in the future, I couldn't find much in the way of
such things actually available now.

You can buy RoboBRiX now.

I'm always willing to share, but for many, I know the
ease of ordering a part is better, and often the only
method, of adding parts to their robots. My concern is
should I simply share, or make the design such that I
can sell such things.

I think you could share the design, but still sell the assembled units.  Those
who would be willing to build them from the design alone would probably not be
willing to pay much for them anyway -- they'd probably just design their own
instead.  And those who are willing to pay, won't be less willing just because
you've made the design available.

I totally agree about assembled units.  Alas, RoboBRiX are
currently sold as kits (no surface mount parts tho').

That sounds a bit odd, I admit, but if there is enough
interest, I will design for manufacture rather than
for a single piece.

Doesn't sound odd to me.

Cheers,
- Joe

It isn't easy to get low volume products to market.
The first RoboBRiX modules were working about
6 years ago.  The became available for sale about
a year ago.

I don't want to discourage people from trying, because
the more products in the market, the more choice
the consumer has.  But be forwarned that it is not
easy task.

Later,

-Wayne