 Robotics / 22712
    Steering Drive —Jon Gilchrist
   So I'm building this robot because my FLL kids told me it couldn't be done. It has to do a few things, line following, bumpers, nothing too special. I made it with a steering drive because it has to have wheels that turn to make it look right (I'll (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Greg Betzel
     How precise does the distance measuring have to be? Why not use the rotation sensor for the steering position, and use the touch sensor in an arrangement similar to a land-measuring wheel (one click equals x distance) for the distance? That'd be my (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Steering Drive —Matthew C. Ruschmann
     (...) Remember to gear down so the axel sets off the sensor say x times per wheel rotation. You should not lose any precision unless you have a poor tapping mechanism. However, you will only have accuracy as good as the touch sensor can go on/off. (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Mr S
     (...) Well, you can use a second touch sensor and a raised portion on half the steering rack so that it is always depressed when not in the center or the other half. This second sensor can be multiplexed with a passive sensor such as you would find (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Steering Drive —Trevyn Watson
     (...) If you want to do this but don't want to or can't use non-lego parts, Rob Stehlik found that you can create the same effect using lamps: (URL) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Ross Crawford
     (...) Instead you could have another light sensor, and something like this (URL) attached to the steering shaft. That way the light sensor can tell 3 different states - straight, left or right. ROSCO (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Robert Fay
      "Jon Gilchrist" <robots@DEELEETEf3p.com> wrote in message news:cmsni0t76f5vr92...4ax.com... (...) Initialize the steering by running the motor at a low power setting in one direction for a short period of time. If it does not engage the touch (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Mr S
     --- Jon Gilchrist <robots@DEELEETEf3p.com> wrote: [snip] (...) It also just occured to me that if you want to avoid multiplexing with external parts, the line sensor can be doubled up with a touch sensor. If the bumper switch is doubled up on the (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Øyvind Steinnes
    "Jon Gilchrist" <robots@DEELEETEf3p.com> wrote in message news:cmsni0t76f5vr92...4ax.com... (...) I don't understand why you need to know which way to turn the wheels to go straight? When you initialize the robot you can test with low power first (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Steering Drive —Walt White
   Hi, I have used this flag technique successfully. It was easier than a hardware solution. I use leJOS which also provides a way to check which direction the motor is turning. When the touch sensor is hit, you can do something like if ( (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)