 Robotics / 22712
22711  |  22713
Subject:
Steering Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:20:16 GMT

So I'm building this robot because my FLL kids told me it couldn't be
done.  It has to do a few things, line following, bumpers, nothing too
special.  I made it with a steering drive because it has to have
wheels that turn to make it look right (I'll explain after it's done,
I have to keep the design a secret for another 2 weeks).  Not a big
problem, I'm using the basic linkage that came with the racers
(8473-1) I got at the Brickfest outlet store sale.  I've got a
differential in there with a motor to drive it, and a rotation sensor
hooked up for distance measuring.  I have a light sensor for finding
the line I'm going to follow.  Here's the tricky part.  I have a touch
sensor hooked up much like this one
(http://www.marioferrari.org/brlm/f1614.jpg) so that I can tell when
the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

So my problem is, how do I tell which way I need to turn the motor to
get the wheels back to straight?

If the sensor is touched, I know that it is going straight, but if the
sensor is not touched I can't figure out any good way to tell which
side of the switch the cam is on.  At least, not without using another
sensor port, which I don't have available.  I can't double up on the
light sensor, because I can't have the sensor value go to 100 just
because I'm going straight.

Help.  Any advice appreciated.

-Jon