 Robotics / 22683
    Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —David Perdue
   (...) Yes, that's correct. (...) There is one piece of missing information you've missed that is causing the confusion: When the program starts, the program doesn't put the normal light value of the room into the variable thresh - read this from the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —Steve Hassenplug
   (...) Again, this sounds really good, but it just won't work. Just to prove it to myself, I did a little test. I connected a light sensor to an RCX, and set it so I could read the values. As it turns out, I have four sumo robots sitting around, so I (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —David Perdue
   (...) Here's a quote from the chapter: "TIP It is a great deal of fun to try out different levels of sensitivity for the searching light sensor.Hold out your hand farther when calibrating, and ZR1 will be very sensitive. Put your hand very close (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —Steve Hassenplug
   (...) I suspect this is where theory departs from reality. That would be clear, if you had been to a LEGO sumo event. You seldom have control over the room lighting, much less the other robots. I've seen events where sunlight was shining directly on (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —Chio Siong Soh
   (...) Yes, it'll be good to see just how the robots described in the book stand up in actual competitions. And I'm looking forward to seeing someone beat Steve for a change. He's been winning far too many medals ;-) C S (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again... —Steve Hassenplug
   (...) :) I welcome the challenge. (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)