 Robotics / 22546
Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joseph Woolley wrote:
Mark Bellis wrote:

I have an RCX 1.0, which I program in Visual Basic, and a couple of Micro Scouts
from the DDK and DSDK.

Can the Micro Scouts understand RCX IR messages and if so what do they do in
response?

Is the "P" mode of the Micro Scouts the way to program them from the RCX?

Can the Micro Scouts understand signals from the RCX IR tower?

What are the basic instructions for setting up programming the Micro Scouts - I
don't want to get buried in the detail of languages etc...

Is there a list of VLL codes and what they do in each programmable unit?

I have the RCX SDK - do Micro Scouts understand the same instructions and how
can I put such a program in a Micro Scout?

Mark

A little off topic for this thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning:

The microscout can be controlled by a spybot as well.  The spybot has
both IR comms and VLL I/O.  So a spybot has two built in motors and can
control a microscout for a third motor.

You could hook up microscouts to (say) three spybots, put them near the
RCX and have the RCX command the spybots.  That is nine motors in
addition to the three on the RCX itself.

For all the complaining I have heard in the past; about the microscout,
scout and spybot (even the RCX) being too limited... it seems that Lego
has done a very good job with these units!  An RCX can control spybots
and scouts directly through IR; the spybots and scouts can control the
microscout directly.  They all work together quite well, IMHO.

Oh, one more thing, if you use the motor port on the RCX or Scout to
send VLL (via a light brick), you can piggy back multiple light bricks
on the motor port to control multiple microscouts synchronously.  I
don't know how many light bricks you could effectively load on a port,
though.

// Joe

So, for instance, if I want to use a spybot to control something else, what VLL
codes I can to use? Can it also get info back from the other controller? Can VLL
be used to make the spybot talk to some other microcontroller like OOPIC or
BasicStamp to get info about the sensors that are connected to the other
controller? And send commands to the motors that are connected to the other
controller? Where I can find a more info about this?

Gabe