 Robotics / 22518
Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 00:38:54 GMT

Can the Micro Scouts understand RCX IR messages...

No - they can't.  They use visible light - not IR.

and if so what do they do in response?

Nothing interesting!

Is the "P" mode of the Micro Scouts the way to program them from the RCX?

'P' mode is how you program them - but not from the RCX.

Can the Micro Scouts understand signals from the RCX IR tower?

I THINK you can program a Micro Scout using the USB tower.  The 1.5 & 2.0 sets
come with a fiber-optic cable that you can use.

Yes - you can use the USB tower - it has both a visible light AND an IR light.
But the older serial port tower has only IR and won't talk to the Microscout.

You can't program the Microscout from an RCX either - the RCX also uses InfraRed.

If you have one of the 'Scout' computers (looks a bit like the RCX - but is
Blue instead of Yellow) - *it* can talk to the MicroScout using an NQC program.
I don't have a USB tower - so when I was trying to figure out the Microscout,
I programmed the RCX to send commands to the Scout - and programmed the Scout
to send them on to the Microscout!

It was a lot of hassle - and I was highly disappointed with the result.

What are the basic instructions for setting up programming the Micro Scouts - I
don't want to get buried in the detail of languages etc...

The Microscout is INCREDIBLY primitive.

Essentially, all you can do is to trigger the same 'programs' you can get to from
the Microscouts' buttons - in a short sequence.

It's not really a 'programming language' at all.

What's most annoying is that the Microscout insists on stopping and making annoying
beeping noises between steps of a 'program' - just as if you'd put the command in on
the buttons.

IMHO, the Microscout is a piece of junk and it's not worth the effort of talking to
it.

I have the RCX SDK - do Micro Scouts understand the same instructions and how
can I put such a program in a Micro Scout?

No!  The Microscout is *far* too primitive.  The 'instructions' are the things
you can do from the front panel and the 'program' is a sequence of up to fifteen
of those 'instructions' strung end-to-end  (with a lot of beeping in between!).

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net