 Robotics / 22516
  RCX and Micro Scout Communication

I have an RCX 1.0, which I program in Visual Basic, and a couple of Micro Scouts from the DDK and DSDK. Can the Micro Scouts understand RCX IR messages and if so what do they do in response? Is the "P" mode of the Micro Scouts the way to program (...) (20 years ago, 25-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

Here are a couple answers for you... (...) I THINK you can program a Micro Scout using the USB tower. The 1.5 & 2.0 sets come with a fiber-optic cable that you can use. (...) Here's a page with more info about VLL (URL) (...) Hope that helps Steve (20 years ago, 25-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

(...) No - they can't. They use visible light - not IR. (...) Nothing interesting! (...) 'P' mode is how you program them - but not from the RCX. (...) Yes - you can use the USB tower - it has both a visible light AND an IR light. But the older (...) (20 years ago, 26-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

(...) Hi Mark, here's a program in Mindscript for your RCX that will exercise the Microscout a bit: program RCX2MS { #include"rcx2.h" #include"rcx2vll.h" main { vll_begin(B) forever { ms_Fwd(B) ms_Fwd(B) ms_Fwd(B) ms_Rwd(B) wait 200 // 2 seconds } } (...) (20 years ago, 26-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

(...) A little off topic for this thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning: The microscout can be controlled by a spybot as well. The spybot has both IR comms and VLL I/O. So a spybot has two built in motors and can control a microscout for a (...) (20 years ago, 26-May-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

(...) So, for instance, if I want to use a spybot to control something else, what VLL codes I can to use? Can it also get info back from the other controller? Can VLL be used to make the spybot talk to some other microcontroller like OOPIC or (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX and Micro Scout Communication

(...) Gabe, Did you see my other post in this thread? (URL) includes a link to the VLL data format. Using that, it shouldn't be hard to build something that can "talk" VLL to a Spybot. You'd be able to send messages (a number from 1 to 127) from the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.robotics)