 Robotics / 22397
  Next Generation RCX

I'd like to initiate some discussion about the future of the RCX (yet again:). Are there any LUGNET members with a little bit of insiders knowledge about the current efforts (or lack there of) at Lego R&D on a new RCX (RIS 3.0 perhaps). It seems (...) (20 years ago, 13-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  RIS 3.0

I think, given where LEGO is finantially and such, the best way for lego to continue mindstorms is to release the following: 1.a RIS 3.0 containing: Current RCX (because there is no R&D for it) Current IR tower and other electrics Current software (...) (20 years ago, 13-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Next Generation RCX

(...) I agree that a minimum R&D solution is a good idea at least for an interim product. The R&D for a whole new brick (or even to improve the number of inputs and outputs) would be higher than the R&D for what I would like to propose: Fix the (...) (20 years ago, 13-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Next Generation RCX

(...) Ugh. Please, no. We don't need yet more wishful thinking and underinformed speculation. (...) I rather suspect that if there are, they are under gag orders to prevent irritation and embarassment if the plans change. (...) Keeping quiet is (...) (20 years ago, 13-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RIS 3.0

Here's an off-the-wall proposal: I wonder where Lego's financial problems would be with some hypothetical RCX 3.0 ? * Would it be in designing the hardware? * Writing new software? * Retooling costs? If it's in either of the first two, I wonder (...) (20 years ago, 14-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics)