 Robotics / 22405
Re: Next Generation RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:22:30 GMT

In message:  <Hw3v3n.13Lw@lugnet.com>
             "Adam Campbell" <acampbellb@hotmail.com> writes:

I'd like to initiate some discussion about the future of the RCX
(yet again:).

Ugh.  Please, no.  We don't need yet more wishful thinking and
underinformed speculation.

Are there any LUGNET members with a little bit of insiders
knowledge about the current efforts (or lack there of) at Lego
R&D on a new RCX (RIS 3.0 perhaps).

I rather suspect that if there are, they are under gag orders
to prevent irritation and embarassment if the plans change.

It seems that Lego keeps a tight lid on there R&D efforts, as
there hasn't been even a peep about the possibility of a new RIS
in 2004/2005?  Does anyone know what Lego is doing and why they
are so quiet about it?

Keeping quiet is appropriate.  Consumers merely get irate and
disenchanted when target dates, product features, etc change
from announced (or even rumored) dates, features, etc.  Thus,
the best way to keep the consumers happy is to occasionally
suprise them with an annoucement "We've got this great new
thing, and it's shipping NEXT WEEK!" instead of giving them
disappointing news "That thing that we've been working on and
said might be ready next month?  Well, it's not ready.  Maybe
in another six months and without the whizbang... but if it's
not ready by then we'll have to cancel it entirely.  Sorry.".

- Alex