 Robotics / 2206
Re: expansion ports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:13:37 GMT

In article <F4ytEI.10M@lugnet.com>, Michael Gasperi
<lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com> writes
Does anybody know if LEGO has a patent on the 9V connector?
I guess I can answer that question myself.  Look at this patent if you want to
see how the LEGO electrical connector works.  This Peter Bolli is a pretty
clever guy.
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US04552541__
Yes it is _very_ neat.  Basically it connects across diagonals, thus is
able to be rotated and still allow proper +ve/-ve connection.   The
really neat idea though is clever positioning to avoid shorts.  Totally
kid proof.

One bad design though is that IDC cable is used to connect wires to the,
urmm plug (?). Difficult to come up with the word (8-)#

We all must have come across dead leads.  Easy to solve though - snap
them apart, cut off and inch or so,  solder the ends on inside, take out
the plastic lug which forces the wire into three bends, and reseal with
glue.  I use carpenters hot glue as that doesn't damage the plastic.
--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) (+44)1442-828255
mailto:tony@firshman.demon.co.uk     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk