 Robotics / 21355
RE: End of Mindstorms :-( - I'm very skeptical
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:10:41 GMT

Consider that the FIRST LEGO League registered the following number of
teams so far this Challenge Season:

NORTH AMERICA
3.359 teams registered
SCANDINAVIA
325 teams registered

GERMANY
94 teams registered

UNITED KINGDOM
92 teams registered

FRANCE
52 teams registered

Singapore
50 teams registered

Plus four new countries added:
- China
- Korea 80 teams
- Brazil
- Holland 19 teams

For those not familiar with FLL, teams use LEGO Mindstorms to solve
tournament missions.  The age range is 9-14, with up to 10 members per
team. See www.firstlegoleague.org for more information.

Last year I coached two teams for a total of 18 kids -- a first year
startup group and we attended an invitational and a tournament.  I had a
waiting list for the class.  This year, I've kept to one team and still
have a waiting list, because I don't want to overextend again.  There
are WAY many more kids wanting to learn than adults wanting to teach.

Last year, there were about 2700 team for the US, so with 3359 this
year, I think FLL is keeping to its record of about 50% growth.

LEGO seems to be heavily involved with the educational side of
Mindstorms; I can't see them pushing FLL so hard and doing Mindstorms
with their Pitsco-LEGO-Dacta arm, Carnegie Mellon University, Tufts
University, plus other Universities, and have no plans to continue the
product line.

It may become unavailable commercially, but I think it will be a long
time before it disappears from the educational venue.

And, if more adults would take the time to stop and teach with LEGO
Mindstorms, there'd be a bigger market.  All my students but one bought
their own Mindstorms sets -- and I stock my classroom with eleven sets
plus zillions of extra goodies.

Now, we are using ROBOLAB, rather than RIS this year, because we hit
some major bugs and pains last year.  So, personally, I think RIS is
inferior.

But, if you think today's kids don't have what it takes to learn
Mindstorms, take a minute and introduce them.  You'll be surprised.

But that's just my 2 cents,

Liz