 Robotics / 21352
Re: End of Mindstorms :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Masclet wrote:
Hi Everybody, I have the badest new of the world:

LEGO stop Mindstorms products.

I hear it of several persons, LEGO shop on Paris (they won't receive other RIS
box or additional box) and also from LEGO staff.
They have stoped RIS production 3 months ago.

They should stop Spybotics production too.

They stop it cause they do not sell enough boxes....

At Brickfest 2003 in August Brad Justus clearly stated:

?: What is the future of Mindstorms? There haven't been many updates lately?
A: It's a real product and it is staying. It IS expensive, so that cuts into
where it can be sold, it probably will never be a product at WalMart(tm) for
example.

Just because they stop production doesn't mean the line is dead.
Who knows how much stock LEGO have in warehouses?  Plus, it seems to me that
LEGO shop employees most likely do NOT know LEGO's exact plans with regards to
the future of product lines.

I remember recently hearing the comment that no LEGO product line is ever truly
dead...the line may change name, not have any new sets for a few years, but
nothing is truly ever dead.

Remember the threads about Technic being dead?  And this summer we got 5 new
products (plus a re-release), and it's so popular that the Backhoe is on
backorder.  Plus some Racers and Discovery Kids sets are clearly technic.
<http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8366>
<http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7471>

How about Model Team being dead?  We got the Sopwith Camel, the Red Baron, the
Wright Flyer, and the Star Wars UCS sets since the last set called "Model Team"
in 1999.  And those sets qualify as Models IMHO. If that's not enough,
the 4402 Boat <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4402>,
the 4403 Helicopter <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4403>,
and the 4404 Land Busters <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4404>
Advanced Designer sets are exactly what Model Team used to be.

Sorry about the rant, but I refuse to believe that a company as smart as LEGO
would permanently discontinue such a revolutionary product line as Mindstorms.
Maybe stop selling it at retail, and make it a Shop@Home exclusive?  Who knows.
Unless they rename it, and it comes back as LEGO ?????????.
Let's think positively!

Build well

John