 Robotics / 21267
  Weird RCX electrical ideas

I'd like to share two thoughts with you all. They involve the RCX and doing things with it that I'm sure the designers never intended (or thought possible). Oh, if you're reading this in the .trains newsgroup, you can skip over the first thought (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) Voltage shouldn't be much of a concern, unless the RCX has a transformer to allow it to output higher voltage than the internal batteries can provide. Besides, wiring up a bunch of 9v lights will increase the total voltage needed to make them (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

<snip> (...) Well Jordan I know a little about DC motor theory. In essence a DC Motor and a DC Generator are the same thing. The amount of ripple (i.e. the frequency of the pulses although frequency is a bad term to use) is dependent on 2 things: (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) A much simpler "contraption" that you can build is discussed in (URL) this LUGNET message>. The basic idea is that you place a reed switch in the railbed and it will sense the magnetic couplers between the cars of passing trains. I have been (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) I got a private email that said this: Jordan, this idea is a good one. and has proved to work in the past. if you have 2 rcx's, then try it. heck you can even experiment with just one RCX for proof of concept. run a wire from the motor out to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) Thanks for the links. I would really like to use such a sensor, but I'm a LEGO purist. Maybe that's irrational, but it pains me to see things like servo motors and ugly exposed circuit boards attached to LEGO. Even if a device is hidden inside (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) Almost right. It's not being powered, it's being shorted. (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

(...) Although these pictures come from as imulator, they are quiet like you probably have seen on the scope, see .. (URL) this page might be of interest, describing both sensor and motor terminals: (URL) Mientki (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas

I certainly don't see a reason why the whole motor-to-sensor thing wouldn't work. Actually, it's really a good idea, I don't know how much has been done with it before, but it sounds like it could be a great little serial interface - if programmed (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics)