 Robotics / 21268
Re: Weird RCX electrical ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:10:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   Oh yeah, one other thing. I’m not sure how much voltage or current the inputs can handle. There might have to be some kind of load in between the two RCXs. I was thinking of using a bunch of 9V lights connected in series (that’s actually hard to do -- try it sometime.)

Voltage shouldn’t be much of a concern, unless the RCX has a transformer to allow it to output higher voltage than the internal batteries can provide. Besides, wiring up a bunch of 9v lights will increase the total voltage needed to make them glow...but it won’t affect the voltage supplied through them (I once had to wire ten 12v mini-PARs in series so we could safely run 120v current through them as practicals in a play). If you want to decrease the total power supplied to the RCX, I believe you’d be better off wiring them in parallel, as that won’t do screwy things to the voltage.

   It’s been a long while since I took physics, so I think I need a coil of wire, not just a wire/electric plate. And a much bigger magnet.

I don’t recall for sure, but I think you’d need to have the magnet inside a coil of wire, either moving through it, or rotating inside of it. You might consider trying a magnetic lever that would lift as each magnetic coupling passed over it, tripping some sort of physical switch.