 Robotics / 21263
Re: What are good LEGO robotics challenges?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   Thanks for the reply. Would you please explain the balance beam tug-of-war in more detail? I just can’t picture it.

It’s something I once saw on Scientific American Frontiers, where each robot would start out on one end of a balance beam, and the object is to get your side lower than the opponent’s side. Some robots did this by dropping what amounted to grappling hooks to the carpet below and pulling their side lower, others would zoom over to the opponent’s side and drop pneumatic liftarms to hoist the opponent’s side into the air, and still others would zoom over and try to knock the opponent completely off the balance beam, after which they would return to their own side. That last type is what inspired the comment about needing to be willing to risk damage to your RCX.

   Also, “sentience” is pretty vague. Could you expand on that, too?

Sure. Self awareness. “I think therefore I am.” Can’t be too difficult, can it? ;P