 Robotics / 20775
Re: maze solving algorithm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 01:26:07 GMT

One way to map a maze is to put each square into an array and use cartesian
coordinates (X,Y) corisponding to each square.

A 5 X 5 maze would look like so:

[X,Y]
[0,0][0,1][0,2][0,3][0,4]
[1,0][1,1][1,2][1,3][1,4]
[2,0][2,1][2,2][2,3][2,4]
[3,0][3,1][3,2][3,3][3,4]
[4,0][4,1][4,2][4,3][4,4]

To access each square use:

mazearray [ maze height*X + Y]

For a 5 X 5 maze, your maze height would be 5.

I hope this helps
scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Töpper" <Ralph.Toepper@t-online.de>
To: "scott davis" <rcx2man@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: maze solving algorithm

Ok, im watching this newsgroup since a longer time. I have never stated • anything
to it. But now, i ve got an idea, thats challingeing me. Its the idea • about
doing a maze algorithm.

If you visit the standard theoretical problem sites, you only find the • classic
problem solution.

This solution will tell you, how to solve a maze, after it has been • mapped.

It tells you nothing about how to map a maze.

Now, if you think about mazes, you can imagine two kinds of them:

1.)  the one, that does not have loops in it. This means, there is no way • in the
maze, that goes back to a node, where it comes from.

2.) a loopy maze.

Now if you think about loopy mazes, you'll find, that you need something • to
identify the node. You can never build a maze mapping algorithm to satisfy • a
loopy maze without identifing the nodes, when the robot reaches them. • Imagine,
you can identify a node by GPS data.

In the first case, with no loops in the maze, to map the maze is no • problem,
since all paths are individual. The robot can only be forced to drive back • to a
node where he has been at before, after reaching a dead end.  The • theoretical
data structure is a tree.

Ralph