 Robotics / 20507
Re: How would I control robots over the Internet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:14:22 GMT

"Ian Warfield" <ipw47@hotmail.com> writes:

Thanks, all, for the suggestions; but oddly enough I don't need to do this
in real time. :)

All you need is a way to control the IR tower from the computer; there
are programs already to do this (checkout librcx which has a "send"
command).  If you're stuck on Windows (my condolences) you may be able
to interface to the spirit.ocx, though I don't know much about that.
Most web servers should be able to run a generic executable so that
shouldn't be a problem.

At that point, you program the RCX to accept messages from the IR
tower, or possibly just set up to 5 programs to run and the IR tower
chooses one and runs it.  The web server then accepts input, gives it
on to the "send" command which causes the robot to respond.  Then
build a queue if you want (don't make it too large otherwise you could
queue up a days worth of robot actions in only a few seconds).

If you've got the Lego remote control, you can practice with that,
making sure that the robot responds correctly.

--
Darin Johnson
    "You used to be big."