 Robotics / 20129
  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) That's pretty depressing - if Spybotics don't make money, Mindstorms is doomed - and if Spybotics does make money Mindstorms *is* Spybotics...so we're still doomed. (...) What I wanted to see happen would have solved that problem quite neatly. (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

Steve! What a great Idea, having components that you could snap together like code blocks but with real Lego! What a natural idea. If I understand your idea right, you could have a small,say, 4x4 or 2x4 bick ROM computer that has a dedictaed (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) Oh, but there is one - it's called the Micro Scout and we all know how versatile and "upgradable to Mindstorms" that is... Any other computeresque brick that does anything kids would find cool (i.e. does more than stand still and react to a (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) To be absolutely honest, I don't think this is my idea - I think I've seen something a lot like that built as a college project. (...) That might be unreasonably costly. I was thinking of having a little knob that you'd turn to select (for (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

I have this Idea, stick with me, The arm of my robot has a limit at the upper and lower extremes. I use The RCX and rotation sensors to keep the robot from breaking its own arm. Ocassionally, there is a skip, either the RCX or Sensor misses it (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) Pneumatic Cylinder. :D Each of these prevents your robot from breaking his arm, and doesn't need sensors. I recommend Mario Ferrari's "Building Robots with Lego Mindstorms" for mechanical ideas that simplify the electrical control. (I.e. less (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) This is an interesting idea, but I think a bad one. The software should stay where it is now, in the software. Putting the software in hardware just creates the need to buy even more bricks. On the surface, that seems like a good think for (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.robotics)