 Robotics / 19727
Re: RCX Tank Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 02:28:06 GMT

I used three sets of treaded chain links and 1x10 plates to make the tracks
for a couple models.  None of the plates ever came completely loose, but
some of them would come loose from one of the three treads.  Virtually all
of the treaded chain links that I have were purchased from DACTA (Pitsco)
about five years ago.

Using treads like this would require a significant redesign of your model,
so it may not be practical.  OTOH, maybe the next version you build ...

See details of the models on my web page:

http://members.cox.net/markhaye/legostuff.html

See details for the tracks at the top of this page:

http://members.cox.net/markhaye/bigtrdet.html

HTH,
Mark Haye

"Tobbe Arnesson" <StPnAtM@lotek.nu> wrote in message
I've finally posted pictures of my RCX Tank Base:

If you remove the 1x4 plates on the treads there will be less carpet • friction
and thus better turning capabilities. Skid steering is a balance between
skiddin' and traction.

Without the 1x4 plates there is too little friction - the unit was unable • to
climb over anything without them!  Plus the 1x4 plates raise the unit up • a
little, make the tracks wider, and gives the base a much 'meaner', more • tank
like look.  The biggest draw back to the plates is they pop-off on a
regularly.  I'm thinking about using some non-permenant/washable adhesive • to
keep them on the new version.  I have no idea what to use, any • suggestions?

Yeah, tell me about it. My latest MOC (still to be published) uses 1 x 6 • plates
on this type of treads and I made the MOC remote controlled and had to • pick up
a lot of plates when I was done driving.

The treads have some serious flaws but are still the coolest things • around.

Word has it the newly manufactured treads (as found @ Dacta) has better • grip on
plates though.

Adhesives should prove difficult to wash away from inside the plates.

<SNIP>