 Robotics / 19728
19727  |  19729
Subject:
Vision Command on XP and 2000 instructions... pending update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 04:57:47 GMT

Hello everyone,

I'm working on updating the instruction pages for Vision Command installation on
XP and 2K.  What I would like to include is a small FAQ and list any issues
people may have encountered.

A couple weeks ago, I did a fresh install of 2K and XP on a computer so I could
go step-by-step through all the instructions again (the intent was to get better
screen images) and discovered a few errors.  Those errors primarily exist in the
2K procedures.

The errors are the result of using my own computer as the original "2K machine"
that the instructions were created from.  Other software was installed and
repeated attempts at finding the right combination of things to force VC to
install caused some of my steps/assumptions to be wrong.  The XP instructions
are more accurate because deliberately used a different computer with a fresh
install of XP.

The errors in the 2K procedures
(http://www.abs-robotics.com/tips/install/win2k/vc.htm):

1)  RIS 2.0 (Original or Upgrade) is required to use Vision Command on
Windows 2000.
2)  WinZIP is not required.  Windows 2000 has the built-in ability to
view cab files.
3)  In order to see the first "ATL.DLL" error (step 25), hit "ALT-TAB"
to switch to it.
4)  If QuickTime is not already installed, it will be at step 28.
5)  If QuickTime needs to install, an "ATL.DLL" error will show up,
click "OK" on it.
6)  Step 32 can be removed... a second KERNEL.DLL error doesn't show up
on a "clean" system.
7)  From step 36 to the end... VC Update should run automatically and
cam setup comes afterward.
8)  Step 47 can be removed... VC on 2000 requires RIS 2.0.

Regarding #8--That error was made because I decided to see if I could get RIS
1.0 and 1.5 to work after finding the solution for RIS2.0.  Instead of using a
clean machine for each install try, I removed/reinstalled on the same machine,
causing my oversight.

Errors in XP procedures (http://www.abs-robotics.com/tips/install/winxp/vc.htm):

1)  Between steps 43 and 44 - Log in to Vision Command.
2)  Between steps 44 and 45 - Firmware may need to download to the RCX.

Current FAQ's:

Q: Is RIS 2.0 required?