 Robotics / 19688
Re: RCX Tank Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 07:50:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Roy Nelson writes:
I've finally posted pictures of my RCX Tank Base:

<<snip>>

This was a good alternative to using an adder/subtracter device to
acheive straight driving.

Why didn't you use a adder/subtracter?

==>"Droid Developer Kit squeeze and lift" style hand.  The hand was able to
lift about half a can of pop.  As you can see in the pictures a full can
of beer caused the base to be lifted.

If you mount the RCX and motors further back from the hand it will act as
conter weight which should allow more lift load.

==>Skid steering was difficult for the power of the motors on carpet.  The
combined resistance of the slip clutch and friction between the treads
and carpet put significant stain on the motors.

If you remove the 1x4 plates on the treads there will be less carpet friction
and thus better turning capabilities. Skid steering is a balance between
skiddin' and traction.

I am currently working on an RCX Tank Base Two that is bigger with better
suspension, easier-turning different style of slip clutch, and some sort
of cool Robot Warriors style of weapon like a chopping axe (which I have
no idea yet of how to build).

'lookin forward to it :)

Best regards,
/Tobbe