 Robotics / 19687
19686  |  19688
Subject:
Linker crashing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 21:58:32 GMT

I recently built binutils 2.13 for h8300-hitachi-hms target (default
configuration otherwise) under Mandrake-Linux 9.0. When I use ld to
generate an S-record file, it crashes ("Segmentation fault"), but still
produces valid output. However, this means I can't use gcc or make for
linking, since they delete the output in the case of a linker crash. gdb
says it happens somewhere in malloc. Hating non-graphical debuggers, I
can't proceed any further that way. There is no "core" file.

Has anyone had this problem before? How can I increase the stack size? (I
had this problem before under djgpp with another self-build, and I seem to
remember it was a stack overflow, and using the "stubedit" program to
enlarge the stack helped. If I could find the core file, I could verify
that. DJGPP does its coredumps to stderr, so it was easy.)

Thanks in advance.

Note: You *can* build binutils (2.11 at least) under djgpp; you just have to
configure with --disable-bfd-assembler. I also tried gcc 2.95, and it was
semi-successful, but it had problems that I can't remember at the moment.