 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2998
Re: Linker crashing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:11:53 GMT

Nick Tarleton <nickptar@mindspring.com> wrote:

I recently built binutils 2.13 for h8300-hitachi-hms target (default
configuration otherwise) under Mandrake-Linux 9.0. When I use ld to
generate an S-record file, it crashes ("Segmentation fault"), but
still produces valid output. However, this means I can't use gcc or
make for linking, since they delete the output in the case of a
linker crash. gdb says it happens somewhere in malloc. Hating
non-graphical debuggers, I can't proceed any further that way. There
is no "core" file.

Has anyone had this problem before? How can I increase the stack
size? (I had this problem before under djgpp with another self-build,
and I seem to remember it was a stack overflow, and using the
"stubedit" program to enlarge the stack helped. If I could find the
core file, I could verify that. DJGPP does its coredumps to stderr,
so it was easy.)

Thanks in advance.

Note: You *can* build binutils (2.11 at least) under djgpp; you just
have to configure with --disable-bfd-assembler. I also tried gcc
2.95, and it was semi-successful, but it had problems that I can't
remember at the moment.

Known problem. Search this newsgroup. Last known working version:
binutils-2.12.

I've been fiddling with this recently, and believe it to be caused by
something writing outside a malloced block, and trashing malloc's control
information.

Anyone skilled in malloc debugging out there?

Max.