 Robotics / 19644
Re: Line following algorithms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 04:01:30 GMT

Paulo Tesche wrote:

I think that developing a good working solution that drives the robot both
fast and precisely over the track, and still uses only 1 light sensor would
be the ideal solution. I´m still challenged on that.

Mission well nigh impossible, I think.

Using only one light sensor would open the solution to virtually all RIS
owners.

One light ensor is ok for starters. It's not difficult to get an
additional light sensor. Most of us think the RIS should have come with
2 light sensors in the first place.

Obviously there are situations that would be impossible (or at least very
difficult) to deal with, like the 90+ degree bends. But it´s something we
could live with.

Have a look at some of the tracks here:
http://www.robotgames.com/Event_Rules/2002_line_follower.htm

Thankfully, most competitions allow the use of two light sensors where
line following is involved. It goes to show that the organisers are real
people ;-)

Btw, modifying the track, to me, amounts to cheating. A line is a line,
is a line ;-)

I agree. I don't like that idea too. Are we too purist ...?

Not at all. It's just that the line is most often defined as a dead
black strip 1 inch (or 2.5 cm) wide on a white background. Try
persuading the organiser to modify the line to suit your robot...
--
C S Soh

CSSoh's Lego Pneumatics
http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1