 Robotics / 19078
Re: Some questions that relate to an idea I am thinking about
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:57:04 GMT

Mario Ferrari wrote:
  Challenges:
   Strength of lifting apparatus
   Strength and stability of 'foot'
   Weight/balance of bot (so it is stable while it is raised and
   turning)
  Has anyone done anything like this? It would seem to allow you to
  build a
very strong rigid drive system that could still execute precise tight
turns. It could not turn 'on the move' unfortunately, but it would be
a good system for a move-scan-plan-move robot that could get itself
out of tight corners.
I have built a robot based on this architecture. I used it to attend a
contest where the robots had to cover a distance, touch a wall, rotate
and come back as precisely as possible to the starting point. I don't
have a page on my site for this robot yet, but I just copied a few
pictures of it in a temporary folder:
http://www.marioferrari.org/temp/DCP_1281.JPG
http://www.marioferrari.org/temp/DCP_1287.JPG
http://www.marioferrari.org/temp/DCP_1299.JPG
http://www.marioferrari.org/temp/DCP_1301.JPG
http://www.marioferrari.org/temp/DCP_1304.JPG

   VERY cool, Mario. I suspect this entire concept would fare poorly on uneven
terrain, but it seems like the perfect solution for certain situations.

Ciao
Mario

Chris - Xenon
--