 Robotics / 18870
    RE: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Liz B
   Maybe our family is different... but I don't think children are intimidated by Mindstorms. I think a lot of parents are. However, I don't even think that's the whole problem. I think if LEGO would market this with an option to buy it sorted down (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Jonathan Wilson
     Liz B wrote: <snip great comments> Speaking from experience (as the owner of a 2.0), I can see the folowing issues with the RIS set: 1.being one of the most expensive lego sets there is, parents are very concerned about what their $$$ is buying. (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Steve Baker
      (...) I think the remote controller is an absolute *must* for the serious robotics builder - I *love* mine. * It allows you to decouple the programming task from the mechanical design task. While you are building, you can check that everything is (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Matthias Jetleb
     (...) agreed (...) Personally, I think that anyone who's attention span is so short that they can't spend the time to sort them into sandwich bags if they absolutely have to (and only do it once) probably doesn't have the attention span to actually (...) (22 years ago, 11-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Steve Baker
     (...) There's quite a difference between an hour of fairly mindless tedium and an hour of stimulating intellectual challenge. However, you're probably right...you only have to do this once...providing you are disciplined enough to dismantle your (...) (22 years ago, 11-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available —Steve Baker
   I agree that building things in Lego from a well organised set of parts bins is a *TOTALLY* different experience from rummaging around in a large box of unsorted parts. I'm completely sold on it. However, I don't think that's obvious to most parents (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)