 Robotics / 18934
Re: Intimidated by LEGO Minstorms -- was: Service pack 5111 - Wires - no longer available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:39:44 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

2.the sorting issue, I dont really see any decent solution to this, I doubt
lego would offer "pre-sorted" sets. Perhaps they could e.g. put all the
gears in one bag, all the beams in another and so on or something.

Personally, I think that anyone who's attention span is so short that
they can't spend the time to sort them into sandwich bags if they
absolutely have to (and only do it once) probably doesn't have the
attention span to actually build a half-decent robot and learn from
the experience.

There's quite a difference between an hour of fairly mindless tedium and
an hour of stimulating intellectual challenge.

However, you're probably right...you only have to do this once...providing
you are disciplined enough to dismantle your robots back into their neatly
sorted bins.

I think the UAS would be good if you took out the remote control (and mabie
some of the throwbot legs etc), I wouldnt mind one for the rotation sensor,

WHAT???!!! Are you nuts? (said respectfully) The remote control should
be considered *mandatory*.

You need exactly *ONE* of them.  It's probably the only Lego part that
you can't really make use of more than one of!

Hence, everyone should go out and buy one - but (IMHO) it's dumb to
include it into any other set.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net