 Robotics / 18712
Re: Gyroscopes That Don't Spin Make It Easy to Hover
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:03:41 GMT

I'm not convinced.

My father built and flew these contraptions and even with gyro's, they
are extremely unforgiving flying machines.

[SNIP]

Helicopters are also a bitch to get set up right in the first place - • tweaking
the rotor setup to get them to fly nicely is quite difficult - and if you • don't
have it just right, even the gyro's are not going to allow you to hover
well.

[SNIP]

The gyro's help you learn to hover - but they don't help in the crucial
transitions from hover to forward flight and (especially) from forward
flight to hover.

I don't doubt the cost of these hobbies are expensive and even expert
controllers have their (expensive) crashes.  And I think of the gyros as
only a sensor.  But what you do with that sensor(s) is key.  Helicopter
(both model and real ones) maneuvers are coupled or in other words,
attempting to go in one direction can cause undesirable maneuvering in
another direction.  For example to move forward you have to tilt forward and
provide rotational resistance and elevation balance (or something like
this).With control theory though you can decouple the maneuvers and greatly
improve the pilot of such craft. So instead of worrying about the unwanted
effects of a forward maneuver you just move forward.

I have not looked at these products but I believe this is the ultimate goal
of using gyros (and control theory) is to better help fly these difficult
(and, yes, expensive) craft. UC Berkeley has a famous model helicopter that
they used to use control theory to decouple the maneuvering.  Also the
University of Rhode Island has a model helicopter (same model) using digital
control theory.

Ed