 Robotics / 18540
Re: Delta Robot Information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:52:31 GMT

Just want to add my thanks to Iain as well!
Both for the wonderful description and links as well as the inspiration for
building a Delta robot in the first place. 'Tijs' was just so cool that I
had to try my hand at building a Delta robot too. :-)

-- Doug

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Stehlik writes:
First off, let me say that my respect for Iain has never been greater. He
has got to be the resident expert in robotics, and really pushes the
envelope as to what can be built out of Lego. He builds models of insane
robots that I have never even heard of. The Delta robot was no exception. If
any of you are interested in some really inspiring robots, check out the
links here. The video on the ABB site is especially cool! It shows a delta
robot used for extremely high speed pick and place applications. But,
Parallel mechanisms are also used in machining centers. The benefits in each
case are the same: lighter moving parts allows for higher acceleration and
higher rigidity. Anyway, back to Lego... What Doug Carlson has done so well
is develop Iains Lego Delta robot further. He has built a really nice, solid
structure for it, and has actuated the parallel linkages in a different way.
The ball joints and original concept come from Iains robot though.
Thanks for all of the info!

Rob