 Robotics / 18527
Re: My Pictures From Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:43:00 GMT

"Rob Doucette" <lego@nospam.doucettenet.com> wrote in message
news:Gzu367.59n@lugnet.com...

He explained it to me, and if I remeber correctly, I believe it's a • device
for accurately positioning something in 3-dimensional space. I'd better
leave the detailed description to him since I'm not familiar with this • type
of stuff.

The way Doug explained it, it's the beginning of a pick and place machine.
What you see in the pic is accurate in the X and Y, he hasn't done the Z
yet.

That's not really right - there are no typical "X Y Z" axis designations
when dealing with this style of robot.

The robot Doug has modeled so elegantly is one possible configuration of a
parallel kinematic machine (PKM), in this instance it is most often known
simply as a Delta Robot. It was conceived Reymond Clavel in Switzerland in
the early 1980's.

While others have used the term "pick and place" to describe it in other
posts, that is not really a fair name for the robot. Typically, "Pick and
Place" is a term used for dedicated, two-position picking and placing (often
done with pneumatics). The delta robot can position it's end effector to any
position inside a volume defined by the union of three intersecting torii,
and very quickly at that. Because of the lightweight members used that are
actually moving, there is very little inertia to the entire frame.

A while ago, I had posted a terrible amount of information on this robot,
but at the time I don't believe anyone was really intersted.

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=2417

Here is a video clip showing ABB's further development of the robot Clavel
invented:

http://www.abb.com/GLOBAL/seapr/SEAPR035.NSF/viewunid/7B9380B44452A897C1256B
1100562E6E/$file/Flexpick.mpg

I hope that plays. Of historical note it should be mentioned that the Swiss
firm Demaurex was purely responsible for the advancement of this robot into
industry. Demaurex is now part of the SIG group.

There are many ways to actuate the three parallelograms, you can do it with
linear actuators or rotating ones.

For more information on parallel machines, I suggest a visit to the info
centre:

http://www.parallemic.org

    Iain (builder of Tijs -
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-022302-index.html )