 Robotics / 18519
Re: My Pictures From Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:21:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Doucette writes:
I'm guessing the members would delaminate (the plates capping the double
beams would separate) especially if the loading is cyclical.  I still think
a long column will describe the behaviour more so than a truss because of
the length.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Within a truss, you will have
members in compression. Column analysis (i.e. Euler buckling, and the like)
can be applied to those memebers. To say that it behaves more like a slender
column than a truss doesn't jive.

To restate (and keep in mind this is from a design and analysis
perspective): the whole structure performs as a truss. Within the truss you
will have members in tension and compression.

To be even more specific, the structure only approximates a truss. Truss
theory is based on all members being connected at one frictionless point. In
reality, this is not feasible, so your connections will deal with some small
amount of bending stress (i.e. it becomes a frame instead a truss).

TJ