 Robotics / 17738
    LEGO Mindstorms on the same list as R2D2, Hal, and Honda's ASIMO —Aaron Sneary
   In an article on robots on How Stuff Works website, (URL) site cites several 'famous' robots people are likely to be familiar with. Mindstorms may be last but probably not least in our culture's recognition of robots. !I! would certainly list (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO Mindstorms on the same list as R2D2, Hal, and Honda's ASIMO —Jona
     Speaking of Asimo...I saw a Honda ad for him during prime time on t.v. earlier this week! They were talking about how he is gonna be able to take care of people (be their eyes, ears, hands etc.). I thought this to be quite the astonishing turn of (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO Mindstorms on the same list as R2D2, Hal, and Honda's ASIMO —Iain Hendry
   "Aaron Sneary" <asneary@shakespearedc.org> wrote in message news:Gv0wuo.Lrw@lugnet.com... (...) with. (...) of (...) ::sigh:: It is really sad to me to see so much publicity going to these whimsical do-nothing robots that are developed simply for (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Stig Anders Mastad
   Hi group! I got some questions. For those not interested in my pre-LegoMindstorm history, go diretly to THE POINTS HISTORY: I learned to program in Basic in 1985 on a Commandore Vic20 and was fantacising about connecting mechanical items to my (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Andrew Burton
     You need to look up pbForth (or is it pBrick?) and NQC. Those are two languages for the rcx that have variables -- specifically math, as I'm not sure if there are strings for the RCX. But I digress, those have variables. My guess, and I am taking a (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Steve Baker
     (...) That's OK so long as the RCX doesn't get out of IR contact with the PC - as can *EASILY* happen. You need to have at least some autonomous code inside the robot that will enable it to regain contact with the PC by (for example) backtracking (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         [OT] cats (was RE: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device) —Aaron Pelly
     (...) there is a school of thought that says there is no such thing as too much time spent dismembering cats (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Steve Baker
     (...) You need to download the free program "NQC" (which stands for 'Not Quite C'). It's a compiler for a subset of the C programming language for the RCX - and with it you can certainly program the RCX to do things with variables. (...) In (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Juergen Stuber
     (...) No problem with leJOS. (...) leJOS is almost full Java, the main limitations are limited memory, no garbage collection, and only a core part of the Java API is supported. (...) I don't completely understand what you mean by mathematical (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device —Benton Jackson
   Stig, a couple years ago I was in the same place you are. I got one for xmas when it first came out. I was rather disappointed in the limitations of the LM, so I gave it to a 13 year old budding engineer. In retrospect, I guess I just didn't have (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)