 Robotics / 17751
Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:49:28 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Stig Anders Mastad) writes:

QUESTIONS
ad 1. Can I program directly to the ports by using JAVA or should I =
learn another language?

No problem with leJOS.

ad 2. I've seen some internet pages for programming the RCX in languages =
similar to C (NQC) and Java (http://lejos.sourceforge.net/) .

leJOS is almost full Java, the main limitations are limited memory,
no garbage collection, and only a core part of the Java API is supported.

From what =
I understand, they do not operate with mathematical variable.

I don't completely understand what you mean by mathematical variable.
leJOS sure has the variables Java has (fields, local variables),
but I wouldn't call them mathematical.

- I'm I wrong or not? I'd like to make my LM-set creations more =
"intelligent" by using mathematical variables. Any help willl do!

I think leJOS will be fine, especially with the easy way of
communication with the PC (rcxcomm) that has been added recently.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/